To attend live, click here.
This is a comprehensive, self-paced course, appropriate for the compassionate clinician who wishes to have a thorough understanding of HIV/AIDS and its ramifications, including the emotional toll it takes on its victims and their loved ones. The personal touch provided by the authors, including videos, audios, graphics and photos, helps students confront and examine their own biases, including the cultural taboos about sex, gender identity and relationships, which can hinder their ability to offer the best care.
Other areas covered: History of HIV, Treatment, Immunology, Virology, Opportunistic Infections, Disease Spectrum, Healthcare Personnel, Life Cycle, Legal and Ethical Issues, Modes of Transmission, Infection Control Procedures, Clinical Management, Behavior and Attitudes Relevant to the prevention of HIV and AIDs. Also included is a discussion of Current Florida Law re: Testing, Confidentiality, Treatment of Patient, Reporting, HIV testing to pregnant women, and Partner notification.
This course satisfies licensure requirements for the following Florida Boards:
- FL Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling
Chapter 397 Substance Abuse Providers
- Florida Certification Board
- FL Dietetics and Nutrition Practice Council;
- FL Council of Licensed Midwifery;
- The Florida Certification Board;
- FL Board of Athletic Training;
- FL Board of Massage Therapists;
- FL Board of Clinical Laboratory Personnel;
- FL Board of Nursing Home Administration;
- FL Board of Occupational Therapists;
- FL Board of Physical Therapy Practice;
- FL Board of Podiatric Medicine;
- FL Board of Respiratory Care;
- FL Board of Medical Physicists;
- FL Electrolysis Council
Note to Students: This course was written with mutual collaboration between Matt and Susan McMillan. Matt McMillan has been approved by the Florida Department of Health / Division of Medical Quality Assurance to teach HIV/AIDs to licensed healthcare professionals, registered interns, and psychotherapists in the state of Florida since 2001. Sections which discuss the societal trends, legal aspects, and social justice concerns were primarily written by Matt McMillan, and sections which concern psychotherapeutic diagnostic assessment, counseling, and treatment were written by Susan McMillan, LMHC, CAP and appear in dark blue, unless otherwise noted.