This course will look at errors made in the medical field, with special sections for Nutritionists, Dietitians, Midwives and Physical Therapists, including videos, personal stories, fact sheets, and lists of do’s and don’ts.
The statistics are absolutely staggering. The number of people killed in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars pales in comparison to the number of people killed by preventable medical errors in this country every year. Don’t let a single one of your patients become a statistic. Boards governing healthcare providers throughout the nation deserve credit in bringing this shocking information out of the shadows by requiring healthcare providers to be educated, aware and prepared.
The information in this course will put you in a position to save lives.
Option to download course will expire 6 months after date of purchase.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the potential consequences of misdiagnosing a mental illness.
- Identify the potential consequences related to failure to report child or elder abuse.
- Identify the potential consequences of inappropriate therapy related to childhood sexual abuse and false memory syndrome.
- Identify the potentially deadly consequences related to inappropriate domestic violence counseling.
- Identify the potential consequences related to failure to obtain proper informed consent.
- Identify errors that can increase the risk of client suicide.
- Identify the potential consequences related to breaches in client confidentiality and privileged communication.
- Identify the potential consequences of inappropriate counseling related to alcoholism and drug abuse.
- Understand how medical errors can produce unintended and iatrogenic effects in mental health clients.
- Identity at least 10 ways to improve client safety and enhance public confidence in the profession.
“Real world relevant examples to Psychotherapy which are usually non-existent in other medical errors courses.”
— Tonya Quillen, LMHC, Hillsborough Co, FL
“This was actually a very enjoyable online training and much of this information I will continue to utilize. I truly didn’t expect to actively engage and learn from a class that I’ve had to take several times previously. Thank you!”
— Heather Smith, LCSW, Palm Beach, FL
“I have taken both the online and in person CEU courses offered by the McMillans. They are passionate about educating professionals in our industry on protecting ourselves and to provide the best possible care to our clients. They are extremely knowledgeable, their courses and website are easy to access, their message can make a heavy subject lighthearted in an appropriate way allowing the information to be more readily absorbed. And their customer service is very hands on and so helpful.”
— Lauryn Gilliam, LMFT Broward, FL